My maternal thirteenth great grandfather, William Cricke
This interesting surname, of English origin with variant spellings Cricket and Crickett, is of English locational origin, from Cricket Malherbie and St. Thomas, Somerset, deriving from the British (the extinct Celtic language of the ancient Britons) “cruc” meaning “hill”, plus “et”, the French diminutive suffix meaning.
Name: William Cricke
South Walsham is some eight miles from the city of Norwich and two miles from the market town of Acle. The village covers 3,000 acres, has some 350 dwellings, two pubs with restaurants, a post office/ stores, a church, a nationally renowned water garden attraction, village hall, recreation ground, a centre for training and the arts and an award winning primary school. It has two Broads, a boatyard and a nature reserve.
The first reference to St Mary’s church occurs in a document of 1141 in which Ralf de Criketot and his family granted a considerable amount of land to nearby St Benet’s abbey. By 1146 King Stephen had commanded that all the rights should be returned to Geoffrey the Clerk. In 1258 William de Suffield conveyed the benefice of St Mary’s to the Master and Brethren of the Hospital of St Giles (now known as the Great Hospital in Bishopgate, Norwich).
St Mary’s church is smaller. St Mary’s was rebuilt in the 14th century, and despite being much smaller and simpler than its neighbour, is an interesting and pretty church. The tower was built later, in the 15th century. On entering the porch, visitors can look up and identify panels depicting the Virgin Mary and the archangel Gabriel at the annunciation, and the coronation of the Virgin Mary as the queen of heaven. Unfortunately, the Cromwellians did some damage to the church carvings and to some of the beautiful ‘poppy head’ pew ends. Originally eight of these bore the words of the Ave Maria. The church is fortunate in having one of the best and most complete examples of 15th century seating with plain oak slab benches. The wooden chancel screen is also important and bears the inscription, partly in Latin and partly in old English, ‘Pray for the souls of John Gault and his wives who have had the painting done on this screen’. source: http://www.southwalshamvillage.org/history/